Renewable Energy Credit Program
Sign up for Agralite Electric Cooperative's Renewable Energy Credit (REC) program and power your home or business on renewable energy. Agralite has RECs available for purchase to offset your current usage with 100% renewable energy options. The electricity you receive will still be the same reliable, affordable energy you have always received from Agralite but, by participating in this program, your home or business will be supporting current and future renewable projects. By purchasing RECs, your business could add value to your products or services, promote future regional renewable projects and showcase your support for renewable energy sources.
What is a REC?
- 1 MWh (megawatt hour) produced by a renewable energy source equals 1 REC
- RECs are also called Green Tags
- RECs represent the valuable renewable attributes of wind energy
How much does it cost?
$1 per MWh. Example: if you use 1200 kWh per month, participating in the REC program would add $1.20 + tax to your monthly bill.
Do I need to purchase any special equipment?
No. Agralite Electric Cooperative will continue to fulfill all your electric needs and you can enjoy the benefits of renewable energy.
Where do the RECs come from?
The RECs come from several wind farms in the region that supply renewable energy to Agralite. These include, but are not limited to:
- North Dakota: PrairieWinds 1, Wilton 1 & 2, Baldwin Wind Project, and Minot Wind Project
- South Dakota: Crow Lake Wind, the Chamberlain turbines, Day Country Wind Farm, and South Dakota Wind Project